How to Make Golden Paste
- 60gms turmeric powder
- 250 – 500ml water
- 1.5 teaspoons ground black pepper*
- 70 ml cold pressed Extra Virgin Coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a saucepan put turmeric powder and 250 mls of water and heat over a low heat. Let the mixture simmer for around 7 – 8 minutes – the mixture will thicken** as it heats up.
- Now add the coconut or olive oil and then the black pepper and gently stir until blended
- Leave to cool
- Store in an airtight container – preferably glass
- Must be kept in fridge and will keep for up to 2/3 weeks
* Omit pepper if you are unable to tolerate it. Absorption of turmeric will be enhanced by cooking along with your preferred oil but will be less effective without the pepper
**Additional water can be added to create a good texture – you are looking for the consistency of thick double cream
Always use quality ingredients for your paste.
Do not buy it if you do not know the quality as there are turmeric brands out there that have had the curcumin removed (these are just used for flavour and colour in food preparations).
The oil you use needs to be high in omega 3, this means the oil is a natural anti-inflammatory oil. Virgin or cold pressed oils are needed.
The three best oils to use are: Coconut Oil, Linseed Oil or Olive Oil
The pepper needs to be whole black pepper that is freshly ground.